Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Memoir Ideas

I have thought long and hard about a couple of ideas I could cover with my memoir, trying to find something that is significant but not a sap story is not an easy task. But here is what I've come up with:

1. Two years ago when I first started attending Oakland University I was intrigued by the thought of joining a sorority. A friend in my rhetoric 150 class had encouraged me to go through sorority recruitment and I had somewhat reluctantly agreed to follow through. I never thought that I would join a sorority, nor did I think that it would impact me in two years as much as it has. I remember the first time I realized that the sorority meant a lot to me and this was when we had our first fall retreat. I had no voice during the retreat and so I wasn't able to socialize as much as I would have liked to, but when we sat around the campfire and talked about our reasons for joining I had started crying and realized how much I needed a new stable community in college. Since then the sorority has been able to provide this for me.

This option is very recent so I'm not sure if it is the best for this assignment but I have a lot of trouble recalling early childhood memories in detail. So the next option is fairly recent as well.


2 comments:

  1. The first idea is more intriguing than the second, since you're faced with the task of writing a memoir. If you chose the first idea, you'd be writing about something very personal (more importantly something that you love). Not only do you love it, but it has had an effect on you that you didn't foresee when you first started the experience. It changed you in some way, probably in a greater way than the second experience did (although I don't doubt you learned something from losing a thousand dollars).

    I think the first idea will definitely be a better bet, but reading your second story made me think "Oh my gosh!" because I have had an experience similar to that. Long story short, I could identify, so it really had me going. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should say "almost losing a thousand dollars" instead of "losing a thousand dollars", since you didn't actually lose it!

    ReplyDelete