Thursday, October 21, 2010

Evaluating my own work...

After reading through the comments on my memoir, and rereading the actual memoir itself, I was honestly pretty disappointed at what I saw. I realized that although I felt initially that my memoir was brilliant and deserving of a high "A" grade, it still had a lot of work that needed to be done to it in order to get it to the level I know it capable of. I think that the main two issues I have with my writing include my over use of words and repetitiveness and also my difficulty in choosing what is relevant and what is not to a work.
Throughout my memoir there was multiple times when I used too many words to explain one meaning. I think that I really need to work on being concise and short in the production of my ideas. I think that because I've been able to write in that way for so long and get away with it I felt that it was okay. However I do realize that when reading a text a reader wants to get to the point as quick as possible, so shortening over wordiness is very necessary.
Another thing that I saw as a problem was my extensive paragraphs. I need to learn how to choose the most relevant information to include in a paper. I'm still struggling with this in my editorial, but I'm hoping that on my later drafts I will be able to eliminate this problem.
I will be working on both of these components in my writing. I'm hoping that after this class I will feel more comfortable about my writing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment