Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Production of an Editorial: A Look at Local Cyber Bullying

A recent experience with the trashing of my boyfriends reputation on an anonymous site called collegeacb.com brought the negative outcome of the websites' harsh comments home for me. I have known about the site since it was produced last year and have repeatedly seen rude, and mostly untrue, things posted on it by anonymous writers. Not only do I think it is extremely disrespectful to the university to have Oakland posted on there, but also it is very immature to me that students in college participate in such a childish act. I think that cyber bullying is a fast growing problem in this country, whether it be through the use of social networking sites like facebook or myspace or through anonymous posting sites like collegeacb or the late juicy campus. I hate to know that the website exists and that people I care about are bashed on it. There is no way to find out who is posting so it just adds to my frustration of the usage of the site by students. I think if people have a problem with other students they should personally confront them rather than cowardly post something anonymously online for everyone to see which is essentially publishing this information. Internet posting, especially in this context, should not be taken lightly because it can greatly affect the people that it has targeted.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great topic and I think OU campus will be interested in it as well. There has been a lot of coverage on this topic recently though so it may just sound like a broken record unless you can figure out a way to make it sound fresh! Also, have you found a solution yet? Be sure to include that; I'd be curious to see what you come up with. All in all, it sounds like an interesting and absolutely relatable topic.

    ReplyDelete