Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Brilliant Man...

Preceding Junot Diaz's appearance at O.U., I was very excited because I had never attended a lecture by a Pulitzer prize winning author, let alone the author of a book I have read and enjoyed. The lecture went above and beyond my expectations and I left with a feeling of great inspiration. Junot Diaz was one of the funniest, blunt, and down to earth public speakers I have ever heard. I thought that even words that he improved, were brilliant, he is a true poet. I could not contain my laughter as I listened and after a while I decided to write down quotes that Diaz was saying because I wanted to tell my friends and family about this hilarious speaker.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:
-Home is not the roof over your head, but the person you feel at home with.
-It's very difficult not to be extraordinarily stupid.
-Most men divide women between people they can have sex with & people that can mom them.
-There is something wrong with our eye, always. (When talking about writing)
-Some of us work well with others, some are really fucking nuts and should be allowed to work alone.
-Mellville is the ill you gotta smoke up from "Hellville". (When speaking about favorite classical authors)
-You're a writer, you're kind of like a crack head, you owe so many people shit. 

Not only was Diaz hilarious, but very insightful as well. I enjoyed his lecture a lot and I think that some of the things that he said will stick for me a very long time. I am glad I had this opportunity.  

1 comment:

  1. He did have some great things to say - glad you documented them. Feel free to work into your book review.

    ReplyDelete